Details released in incident that caused portions of Lander’s North 2nd Street to be closed for hours Friday

Officers in protective gear made their way through a yard, presumably to get to the residence in question. (Joshua Scheer photo)

Update at 5:40 p.m.

Statement from Lander Chief of Police Jim Carey:

“On Nov 9th at around 1022 am Officers of the Lander Police Department were called to the 800 block of North 2nd St. for an alleged suicidal person.  Dispatch received information that this person had threatened to use a weapon.  Officers worked closely with acquaintances and attempted to contact the person.  After several hours the person reluctantly came out of the house.  The person was taken to the Lander Regional Hospital for evaluation.  During the incident the person was Tased and less than lethal munitions were used to gain control of the person.
During the incident several areas were restricted from traffic flow for the safety of emergency personnel and residents.”


By Joshua Scheer, reporter,

(Lander, Wyo.) – Lander Police and other agencies spent roughly four hours Friday dealing with an incident, resulting the closure of the 700 and 800 block of North Second Street. arrived on scene at about 10:30 a.m. prior to the street closures. The scene was cleared at about 2:45 p.m.

Police have not publicly commented on the nature of the incident, though early reports suggest a despondent individual barricaded him or herself inside a home.

Shortly after arriving and closing the block, officers began to don ballistic vests, helmets and assault rifles.

A group of citizens was ferried to and from the scene throughout the day. One officer was stationed about halfway into the block at all times.

Eventually a group of police in full gear made their way through yards on the 300 block of Washington Street in an apparent attempt to reach the residence from another angle.

Since the scene being cleared, calls and e-mails to LPD have to yet been returned.

Also assisting were Lander EMS, Fremont County Sheriff’s Office and Wyoming Highway Patrol.

Shortly after 10:30 a.m., Fremont County Sheriff’s Office vehicles blocked the 800 block of North Second Street. More officers arrived throughout the morning. (Joshua Scheer photo)

An LPD officer secured his helmet. (Joshua Scheer photo)

An incident command trailer became the center of much of the activity during the incident. (Joshua Scheer photo)

Officers removed riot shields from the back of an incident command vehicle. (Joshua Scheer photo)