Police Blotter: Arrests; Coroner rules death of child was “natural”; No new leads in death of Ft. Washakie pedestrian; Lander man arrested after throwing urine on car at dealership

(Lander, Wyo.) – Wednesday’s Fremont County Law Enforcement report:

Riverton Police Department


Christopher Flores, 34, Ethete, arrested on a Hot Springs County Warrant

Hayes Goggles, 46, Riverton, arrested on a Municipal Warrant and for Public Intoxication

Clowry Means, 45, Riverton, arrested on Municipal Warrants and for Public Intoxication


Police were called to the 300 block of North Federal Boulevard at 11:58 a.m. Tuesday for a minor two vehicle collision. While the official report is pending, the dispatch log indicated a Dodge truck had backed into a Buick.

Police were called to Walmart at four minutes before six p.m. Tuessday where a 17-year-old female and a 24-year-old female, both of Lander, were issued citations for attempting to shoplift miscellaneous items totaling $39.95.

Police were summoned at 10 p.m. Tuesday night to the 700 block of North Federal where a man had allegedly been assaulted  outside of an establishment. The case remains under investigation.

Police are also investigating a reported theft from a building reported at 10:43 p.m. Tuesday night, but details were not released.

Fremont County Coroner

The death of a 3-year-old Helen Black of Riverton who stopped breathing in her home and was rushed to Riverton Memorial Hospital on August 10th has been classified as a natural death of undetermined cause, according to the Fremont County Coroner’s office. An autopsy was unable to determine the child’s cause of death and subsequent toxicology testing was negative. The Coroner’s ruling was released today.

Coroner Ed McAuslan also said today there is no new information to report concerning the death of a pedestrian who was struck by a hit and run driver on  August 16th. Enrique Chavez, 19, of Fort Washakie died at the Wyoming Medical Center in Casper after receiving emergency treatment at Lander Regional Hospital. Chavez was struck by an unknown vehicle while he walked along the Trout Creek Road. The coroner, the FBI and the BIA Wind River Police Department are investigating the incident.

Lander Police Department


Andelee Charginghawk, 20, Hudson, was arrested on a Bond Revocation and was cited by the LPD for Littering and Breach of the Peace. According to an LPD report Charginghawk was apparently involved in a domestic dispute which ended up at Fremont Chevrolet at 1700 West Main Street. The man is charged with allegedly urinating into a cup on the premises and then throwing the urine on a vehicle parked in the lot. The man left the scene, but when contacted by telephone he allegedly made threatening remarks and refused to clean off the vehicle. When he returned to the scene, he was cited for throwing the cup on the ground and then arrested on the bond revocation.

Tana Papse, 39, Fort Washakie, was served with a LPD Warrant while she was being held at the Fremont County Detention Center on another charge.


Police Chief Jim Carey said Wednesday morning that four officers in his department will be up for a public and interdepartmental commendation due to their actions on two separate medical assistance calls in July. Carey said more details will be forthcoming, but he said Sgt. John Cunningham and Officer Troy Trehearne along with Sgt. Ron Wells and Officer Kenneth Stigers will be recognized. He said the four men were involved in two separate incidents in which they performed CPR on individuals before the arrival of EMS personnel and the individuals were transported to the hospital. “It is very clear that the training and response demonstrated by these officers are truly saving lives in our town. This does not happen often; I can think of only three other times in the last 22 years,” Carey said. “To have four officers do this in less than a month is remarkable to say the least. They are heroes in my mind.”

Lander Police said the silver colored SUV on the right apparently ran a red light and crashed into the white van, disabling it in the intersection. (Ernie Over photo)

Police are investigating the breaking of a vehicle windshield in the 200 block of South 4th Street, which occurred at some point between 8:45 p.m. Monday night and 11:27 a.m. Tuesday. A rock found at the scene was apparently used to break the windshield, which Carey estimated the value of as between $300 and $500. It was the second windshield deliberately broken out by a rock in the past week within the city limits.

A call to the LPD from Central Bank and Trust on an alleged forgery was referred to the Riverton Police Department because the action resulting in the call apparently took place in Riverton.

A two-vehicle crash at the intersection of Second and West Main streets in Lander was reported at 3:57 p.m. Carey said a gray colored sports utility vehicle was eastbound on Main and allegedly ran a red light, crashing into the left front of a white van, traveling northbound on Second and making a left turn onto Main. The white van was disabled at the scene and the intersection was blocked for a time until it could be removed. Carey said no citations were initially issued, but he said the accident report is not yet completed.  There were no injuries.

Fremont County Sheriff


Benard King, 47, arrested for Registration Violation, Driving While Under the Influence, Speeding, Driving While Under Suspension, and No Insurance.

Michael Mason, 42, Riverton, arrested on a Probation Violation.

The Fremont County Detention Center currently has 177 inmates it is responsible for. Of these, 165 are being held in the Fremont County Detention Center, 11 are in substance
abuse treatment programs throughout the state and out of the facility, one is on home detention out of the facility and no inmates are being housed out of the facility.


A call from a Jeffrey City area resident is under investigation by the Sheriff’s Department. The caller advised officials that her dog had gotten into some kind of “mud’ at the end of June which she cleaned from the animal. The dog subsequently died and now the caller was beginning to experience some medical issues and was reporting the incident.