Shots fired at Tribal Fish and Game Warden Friday morning; FBI Investigating, suspect at large

(Wind River Reservation, Wyo.) – Details are beginning to emerge on a Friday manhunt along the south front of the Owl Creek Range after shots were fired at a Tribal Game Warden. The warden was reportedly uninjured.

Shortly after the incident occurred at mid-morning Friday nearly every Fremont County Law Enforcement agency plus Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigation Agents, Wyoming Highway Patrol Troopers and Wyoming Game and Fish Wardens responded to assist the BIA Wind River Police Department looking for a red pickup truck believed involved in the shooting.  The entire North Portal area was sealed off in Fremont County, from the Bass Lake and West Shoreline roads and Boysen Reservoir/Wind River Canyon on the east, to Highway 134 on the south, at Crowheart on the west and in the Pavillion area. Officers were stationed at each outlet road coming off of the Reservation. Additionally, the Hot Springs County Sheriff’s Department was notified and they took up watch on the north side of the Owls at several mountain pass locations near the Arapaho Ranch. The suspect remains at large, sources said Monday.

“The FBI responded to a call of shots fired at a BIA officer in a remote area of the reservation,” said FBI Denver Division media liaison Dave Joly on Monday morning. “Investigation revealed that the officer is a Tribal Game Warden but duly commissioned BIA Officer. FBI, BIA, FCSO, DCI and WHP all cooperated to clear the area and crime scene. The investigation continues.” Joly said additional information would be released when available.

The Riverton Police Department Tactical Response Unit was placed on standby if needed and a fixed wing aircraft from Lander’s Hunt Field Airport took flight to give officers on the ground a bird’s eye view of the terrain below. The Lander Police Department also offered its services, if needed.

Just before 4 p.m. Friday, the county and state units were released from the scene and the BIA and FBI continued the search.