Police Blotter: Arrests; Authorities respond to false S&R call; Riverton man charged with stalking

(Lander, Wyo.) – Wednesday’s law enforcement round-up from across Fremont County.

Fremont County Sheriff’s Office


Ivan Bear, 44, Riverton, Fremont County Failure to Appear Warrant.

Robert Brillhart, 24, Riverton, Probation Revocation Warrant.

Harley Fabrizius, 52, Riverton, Fremont County Failure to Appear Warrant.

Jason Knigge, 32, Shoshoni, Fremont County Warrants for Domestic Violence Battery, Property Destruction and Reckless Endangering.


At 7:23 p.m., the Fremont County Sheriff’s Office received a search and rescue call from a Colorado woman who said her 39-year-old husband, who was backpacking in the county, needed help. According to a news release from Undersheriff Ryan Lee the woman received a satellite or SPOT message from her husband that said, “Help!!! I am alive something is terribly wrong send help immediately.” The message reportedly contained the man’s coordinates within the Silas Canyon area in the Wind River Range.

“With this information the Sheriff’s Office launched two Search and Rescue volunteers along with a Paramedic to the man’s location via helicopter, around 10 p.m. last night,” Lee said. “Upon reaching the distressed man, he told his rescuers that he did not need help. The man acknowledged sending random messages and it was determined that he misused the emergency device for an unknown reason. The rescue crew did not stick around and interrogate him as to why.”

Lee said in an interview that it was his understanding that when the man heard the helicopters approaching he sent his wife messages saying that he was OK. Because the man did not make an emergency call, and his wife believed him to be in danger, no charges can be filed for the false report.

“We take this job seriously,” Lee continued. “We error on the side of caution and will start a rescue mission when the circumstances dictate. There is no way to call these people back or send messages asking further questions; we have to take what we are told at face value and make the decision to help or stand down.

“The flight crew and volunteers were in a dangerous situation flying in mountainous terrain in complete darkness with aid of night vision. We are lucky to have such dedicated personnel in Fremont County willing to take these risks in an effort to help others.”

At 2:54 p.m., deputies took a report of a possibly stolen vehicle in the Riverton area.

Deputies were called about door-to-door salesman from Digital Satellite. At 4:03 p.m. a man on the 100 block of South Oklahoma Avenue in Hudson called deputies to find out if the salesmen were serious.

At 6:23 p.m., deputies were called to the 100 block of Hutchinson Road for possible abuse against a horse. Deputies determined the horse was in poor health, and the owner was trying to keep it alive.

At 10:54 p.m. on Wednesday, deputies took a report of a possible assault on Elizabeth Circle near Lander. The caller said he went to drop off property at his ex’s home, and a person took his hat and punched him in the back of the head. The caller also said the subject threw a rock at the caller’s car. The incident has been forwarded to the Fremont County Attorney’s Office for review.


Riverton Police Department


Alvin Sage, 37, Riverton, Possession of Marijuana, Interference and Stalking. Police received at call at 8:54 p.m. from the 500 block of South 1st Street from an apartment dweller there who reported that Sage had broken out a back window of the apartment and then left. A neighbor also witnessed the incident and told the same story to police. The reporting party, a 24-year-old female, said she had “hung out” with Sage before, but that they were not dating. She said he began sending her text and Facebook messages, and he began driving by her apartment and place of work frequently. He was told to stop, “because it was bugging me,” but he did not. When he returned to the residence after midnight, police were called and they found Sage a short distance away and placed him under arrest.

Franklin Tail, 23, Lander, on three Failure to Appear warrants and Resisting Arrest. Police on patrol noticed a large group of people sitting by the tennis courts in city park after the park had closed for the night. Police ran the IDs on the individuals and discovered that Tail had three outstanding warrants. A report said Tail resisted efforts to place him in the patrol car, and once at the police station, resisted efforts to get him out of the car. When he was threatened by an officer who said he would be sprayed with pepper spray, Tail complied.

Dominic FightingBear, 36, Arapahoe, on a Failure to Appear warrant. Police received a call of individuals passed out under a picnic table at Riverton City Park. FightingBear was one of them who was found to have a warrant, and he was arrested.

Patrick Arthur, 32, Arapahoe, on a Contempt of Court warrant. Police were called at 6:30 p.m. to an alley in the 700 block of North Federal for two men passed out. Arthur was found to have an outstanding warrant and was arrested. The other individual, with a high blood alcohol level. was taken to Riverton Memorial Hospital.

Cassandra Goggles, 41, Riverton, on a Failure to Appear warrant. An officer on patrol spotted Goggles walking on a sidewalk in the 500 block of East Pershing and knew that she had an arrest warrant.


A woman in the 300 block of Moose Drive reported that sometime between Friday the 19th and Sunday the 21st someone had taken items from her company car, including a silver Lenova Yoga model laptop computer valued at $900 and a pair of black Brunton binoculars, valued at $100.

Police received a call at 9:50 a.m. of suspicious behavior of a man in a vehicle with children. The caller said the driver had been “snorting something.” Upon arrival, police officers discovered the man was using an over the counter nasal spray for a cold. There were no drugs in the vehicle.

A hit and run crash was reported to police at 11:44 a.m. involving a beige colored 2004 Chrysler Pacifica. The called did not know where or when the damage occurred.

Construction crews at the demolition site of the old Lincoln School knocked a telephone line down while removing equipment from the site. The line was hanging about three feet above the alley. Crews lowered the rest of the line so it was flush with the ground and Century Link was contacted to put the line back where it belonged.

A call at 6:29 pm. to the Rails To Trails pathway behing the 500 block of East Pershing reported three men who appeared to be intoxicated. Police confirmed the report and took the three to the alcohol detox center.

A group of 30 some juveniles between the ages of 10 and 13 years old were using inappropriate and offensive language toward each other at the skatepark in City Park which resulted in a passerby calling police. The youth were advised to knock off the foul and obscene language in public.

A shoplifting incident was called into police from the 300 block of North Federal, but not until the suspects had left the store and disappeared. Taken was $3.78 worth of merchandise, including a candy bar and an energy drink. The suspects, three juvenile girls, were not confronted in the store, according to a police report.

Police were called to the 300 block of South Federal at 7 a.m. Wednesday morning where a suspicious circumstance was reported. A vehicle had been towed to that location overnight, but employees discovered that the trunk had been opened and the contents thrown outside of the vehicle, and that a spare key had been used to start the vehicle, which was still running, but there was no one around. The vehicle had a broken ball joint on the front drivers side making the car inoperable. A report was taken.


Lander Police Department




At 9:55 a.m. on Tuesday, police were called to the 400 block of Market Street for a report of bones found in a yard. The caller was reportedly digging in his yard when they were found. An officer collected the bones, and officials at Lander Regional Hospital confirmed them to be from a large animal like an elk or cow.

At 12:46 p.m., police took a report of possible check fraud. Sgt. Ron Wells said the reports was determined to be more of a civil issue, and the individual was directed to resolve the issue with the bank.

Police took a report from a woman who came to the LPD office to discuss an alleged assault. Wells said six to eight boys, ages 12-14, allegedly got into a confrontation with another boy at Dirt Bike Park on Baldwin Creek Road. Wells said no charges have been filed at this point.

At 7:41 p.m., police were called about a deer that ran into the side of a passenger car on the 600 block of Main Street. The deer apparently struck the passenger side of the eastbound car, got up and ran away. Wells said there was only minor damage to the vehicle.

Police were called to the Popo Agie One Stop at 7:42 p.m. after a man allegedly tried to buy alcohol using someone else’s identification card. Wells said when the man was confronted about the card, he left. Police were unable to locate the suspect, but did locate the man whose ID it was. Wells said the man told police he lost the ID at a local bar a year ago and had since replaced it.

At 7:47 p.m., police were called about a disagreement between neighbors over hedges cut down on the 500 block of South Third Street.