Police Blotter: Arrests; Guns brandished in two altercations; Youths reportedly shot with BB gun

(Fremont County, Wyo.) – Here is Friday’s law enforcement recap from around Fremont County. All persons arrested or cited are presumed innocent until convicted in a court of law.

Riverton Police Department


Raymond Walker, 36, Arapahoe, on a Failure to Appear warrant. Walmart store security personnel recognized Walker and police were called at 8:53 a.m., as he had a no trespass order for the store. He was arrested as he also had an outstanding warrant.

Benhart Simon, 39, Riverton, Public Intoxication and Resisting Arrest. BAC was .20 percent. A man was found face down apparently sleeping in a yard in the 300 block of North Broadway at 11:30 a.m. Responding officers resorted to a “sternum rub” to wake the man, later identified at Simon, who was intoxicated. He said he came from the Set Free Church, but they would not accept him because he was drunk, and the Center of Hope wouldn’t take him either. When he realized he was going to jail, Simon allegedly became abusive and resisted having handcuffs placed on his wrists. A police report said the combative man was released and, once free of the officer’s hold, he was tased. Simon then agreed to follow commands and he was arrested.

Kenneth Shakespeare, 28, Arapahoe, on two (2) Contempt of Court warrants

Broderick Hopper, 20, Riverton, on a Contempt of Court warrant. A call of a wild, loud and huge party where people were using drugs brought police to a dormitory at Central Wyoming College Thursday night at 9:24. The report was unfounded. There was no party, no loud noises and no one using drugs. However, one of the young people at the room, Hopper, was found to have an outstanding warrant and he was arrested.


Store personnel at Smith’s Food and Drug at 1200 West Main called police at 29 minutes past midnight Thursday morning to report that a semi-truck has been driving in circles in its parking lot for the past 20-25 minutes. Police contacted the driver(s). The primary driver was training a new driver. No action was taken.

A traffic hazard was reported at 1:17 a.m. on West Sunset by the canal where three bicyclists were reported to be in the middle of the street. None of the three had reflective safety devices on their bicycles or clothing. A responding officer contacted the trio to learn that one of them had crashed, and messed up his bike and was hobbling home. The officer advised the three to use the sidewalk and not the street since they did not have light reflecting safety items. There is no city ordinance that requires cyclists to have reflective gear.

A man suffering from the DTs from alcohol withdrawal was at the North Federal Pit Stop Travel Center asking for a ride to the hospital at 3:15 a.m. Thursday. The man obtained a ride and an ambulance was not needed.

Two juvenile females were spotted in Jaycee Park with sleeping bags at 8:31 a.m. According the girls, they had been at a sleepover at a friend’s house, but left early. They had not been at the park all night. Parents of the girls confirmed this. The two were given a ride back to the friend’s house where parents were scheduled to pick them up.

A caller said a small dog was in a locked and closed-up vehicle on the east end of the Walmart parking lot Thursday at 9:12 a.m. A responding officer determined that the dog was not in any danger, due to the cooler temperatures (60°F) and overcast skies. The owner of the dog was contacted, however, and it was suggested that windows be lowered somewhat so the animal had fresh air, and that when it was warmer, animals should not be left unattended in a vehicle.

A caller in the 1200 block of East Washington reported to police that someone on the block was yelling and cussing at children in the neighborhood. The suspect was contacted and he said he was yelling at his kids, who were now inside the house on a “time out” but he was not physical with them. When told of the noise complaint from his yelling, etc., the man agreed to tone it down.

A fight was reported in the 1200 block of East Washington at 12:26 p.m. The fight was reported to be verbal and the parties were separated. No action was taken.

A man called police to say that someone had let all of the air out of his tires on his vehicle parked in the 800 block of North Federal. The tires were not damaged.

A report came in at 3:02 p.m. that a man had been assaulted in Riverton City Park and that the suspects were walking away. Officers found the man with a small cut in the middle of his forehead, but he refused medical attention and told officers to “mind their own business” a report said. He would not talk about the assault, so the officer left. Other officers contacted the suspects, who showed no signs on their hands that they had been in a fight. They were allowed to continue on their way.

Police received a report of a vehicle blocking traffic in the 800 block of East Monroe and that the suspects, who were reported to be stealing tools from the construction site, were fleeing the scene. Police arrived to find a vehicle that had broken down and needed to be towed, but the rest of the report was deemed to be unfounded.  No one had fled the scene and no tools were taken.

Firefighters stood by at the scene. (eo)

Firefighters at the scene of a branch on a power line. (eo)

Riverton Firefighters responded to a report of a tree on fire following the big storm Thursday afternoon after 5 p.m. A tree branch had broken off and landed on power lines of Rocky Mountain Power along Honor Farm Road, causing some fire and smoke. A power crew responded to the scene with firefighters and the limb was safely removed.

Officers mediated a conflict between roommates in the 300 block of South 6th East in which one of them threatened to use a shotgun. Apparently all of the occupants of the rented home also work together and when one of them lost his job, the others were concerned they’d lose their lease if the rent couldn’t be paid. The suspect apologized to his roommates, said he had no intention of using the shotgun and was just emotionally upset at the circumstances. The man agreed to let police take his shotgun to the police department for safekeeping. No other action was taken and at the end of the call, everyone appeared to be friends again.

Another license plate was stolen off of a vehicle, this time one parked in the 300 block of South 6th East. The license was taken off of a red 1981 Ford F-250 that had been parked at that location for some time.  A report was taken.

Police are continuing an investigation into an incident in which a 15-year-old and a 10-year-old were hit with BBs shot from a BB gun. The suspect is a 16-year-old Riverton youth.


Lander Police Department


Larry Duran, 44, Lander, Domestic Violence. At 11:47 a.m., Thursday officers were called to Washington Street for a report of a male subject in a backyard with a gun, and another man was trying to get the gun away from him. Lander Police report that the gun had been taken out of the other person’s control by the time they arrived. “Through standard questions and investigation of the call, officers were able to determine that the son was trying to get the gun away from his father and a fight occurred,” LPD said in a statement. “The father was later arrested and booked in at the Fremont County Detention Center” where Duran was found to have a .303 blood alcohol percentage.

Christina Linn, 40, Lander, LPD Warrant.


A 2003 Dodge was a reported stolen from North Fifth Street at 8:41 a.m.

At 8:42 a.m., police were called by a person on Cedar Street who reported that there were two suspicious vehicles in the area the night before with subjects possible snorting something.

A hit and run on Main Street from the day before was reported at 10 a.m. on Thursday.

A 2002 tan Chevy Suburban was reportedly stolen some time on Wednesday afternoon from a location on South Third Street.

At 1:01 p.m., a caller on Dillon Drive reported that a large dog had been left in the back of pickup for 2-3 hours.

At 3:54 p.m., police were called to a location on Main Street for a report of someone making threats and ‘getting physical.’

Two cell phones were reported stolen late Thursday afternoon.

At 7:12 p.m., a caller reported a male subject on a skateboard and a female subject on a bike both riding in the middle of a lane on Main Street.

At 8:27 p.m., a caller on Cedar Street reported an antler set stolen from their yard and damaged lattice work on their shed.

A prairie dog apparently got stuck in a business on Main Street at about 9:30 p.m., and the caller needed help removing it.


Fremont County Sheriff’s Office


Bobbi Jo Sparks, 54, Hudson, Pedestrian Under the Influence. Read more about this arrest here.

Steven James Watkins, 42, Lander, Driving Under the Influence.


At 8:58 a.m., deputies were called to Svilars in Hudson for a report of an intoxicated man. Deputies helped move the man along.

At 9:08 a.m., officers were called to a location in Riverton for a report of an ex-employee who has been using a fuel card without authorization. The report is under investigation.

A man on Rolling Meadows Lane near Lander reported that someone cut his fence and let cattle onto his property. He said this is an annual problem.

Deputies were called to the area of North First in Hudson at 11 a.m. for a report of three dirt bikes in the area being loud.

A suspicious person circumstances report in the Lander area is under investigation. Additional information was not released.

At 7:26 p.m., a caller on Pleasant Drive reported that someone took her truck without permission.

At 8:31 p.m., deputies were called to the 1400 block of Cowboy Lane near Riverton for a report of shots fired in the area. Deputies determined someone was target practicing.

At 9:22 p.m., a woman reported that there were three vehicles at the Rendezvous site shooting artillery shells at each other. Deputies were unable to locate the vehicles.

A caller on River Lane reported a truck that they thought was scoping out other vehicle and trying to find unlocked ones. Deputies found the report to be unfounded.

Deputies were called to North First Street in Dubois for a report of one woman attacking another at a residence at about 10 p.m. The report is still under investigation.