Police Blotter: Arrests; Woman lost over $10k from bank account; Man lost $430 in cold cash; Moose returned

(Fremont County, Wyo.) – Here is the weekend’s recap of law enforcement activity around the county in the three day period Friday through Sunday. All persons arrested or cited are presumed innocent until convicted in a court of law.

Fremont County Sheriff’s Office


Alvin Hamilton, 42, Portland, Ore., Fremont County Failure to Appear Warrant.

Monte Robertson, 63, Casper, Simple Assault. Robertson was arrested after an 11:18 p.m., Saturday call by the Wind River Police Department for assistance. The man allegedly grabbed a young woman by the shoulder.


At 9:03 a.m. on Friday, deputies were called to Highway 789 outside of Lander for a report of a pit bull chasing a cyclist.

The Fremont County Sheriff’s Office was called by University of Utah Police for an assist. A report is pending.

At 3:34 p.m., deputies were called to the 200 block of Rendezvous Road near Arapahoe for a report of two packages stolen from behind a locked gate.

At 4:05 p.m., a single vehicle roll-over was reported on Highway 28 over South Pass. The Wyoming Highway Patrol handled the call. There were no injuries and no citations issued.

Possible fraud was reported on the 500 block of Gabes Road in Pavillion.

At 10:02 p.m., deputies were called to the 4800 block of Highway 287 for a report of two people fighting. Deputies arrived and found the two were just “horse-playing.”

A report of a loud party near the 100 block of Hoot Owl Road near Riverton came in to deputies at 1:05 a.m. on Saturday. Deputies were unable to locate the party.

At 1:44 a.m., a minor single vehicle wreck was reported on North Fork Road near Lander. The caller said he drove through a fence when he hit the gas instead of the brake. There were no injuries.

Another loud party was reported off of Latigo Lane near Lander at 3:59 a.m. on Saturday. The caller said the party had been going all night and people were outside screaming and hollering.

On Saturday morning, a man in Kinnear reported that his neighbor was threatening to spray his dogs with bear spray.

At about 11 a.m. on Saturday, Highway Patrol troopers were called to a two vehicle wreck involving a semi on South Pass. WHP Lt. Tom Adams reports that Gary Holden of Las Vegas was cited for improper turning following the wreck. Holden, who was eastbound on Highway 28, was driving a 2001 Ford Ranger pulling a camper when he pulled onto the shoulder to prepare for a u-turn. As he began making the turn, an eastbound semi driven by a Mills, Wyo., man was unable to avoid the collision. The semi driver was uninjured; Holden was transported to SageWest Lander where he was treated and released. The camper was separated from the pickup in the wreck and it also lost its roof.

At 11:24 a.m., a man on Porcupine Circle in Dubois reported that his home was broken into. Deputies found the door to be open, but there was no damage and nothing was missing.

A caller on Speyer Drive near Lander complained that her neighbor was throwing weeds onto her property.

At about 6:30 p.m., deputies were called to the western side of the Wind River Mountains to assist the Shoshone National Forest with a vehicle wreck. An ATV reportedly struck the rear of a parked forest service truck. There were no injuries.

At 8:30 p.m., deputies were called about seven or eight subjects at a campground at Louis Lake causing problems and threatening people.

At 10:58 p.m., a man on Poor Farm Road in Lander reported that someone broke into his home and stole his TV.

A hit and run or vandalism report came in at 6:45 a.m. on Sunday on the 500 block of West Ramshorn in Dubois. The caller found a broken flower pot, a sign pole bent to the ground and flower beds messed up.

At 9:47 a.m., deputies were called to a location on Lyons Valley Road for a report of an out building and residence that they thought someone had gone through a couple days ago.

At 2:37 p.m., deputies took a report from someone in Arizona saying someone in the Fremont County Detention Center was making harassing phone calls.

An overly persistent salesman was reported Sunday afternoon in Pavillion.

At 9:56 p.m., a caller on Rogers Lane reported that someone tried to get into his home and then ran away. Deputies were unable to locate anyone in there area.


Lander Police Department


Noland Wallowingbull, 56, Ethete, LPD Warrant.

Rachel Brown, 43, Lander, Public Intoxication and Assault & Battery. Brown was arrested following a report of intoxicated subjects on the 100 block of East Main Street. A person alleged that Brown had shoved them repeatedly.

Johnnie Hutchings, 42, Lander, Assault and Battery. Hutchings was arrested following a 5:45 p.m., Saturday call on Washington Street for a report of a woman being thrown against a vehicle.

Tera Moore, 23, Polson, Mont., Driving Under the Influence. Moore was arrested following a 2:27 a.m., Sunday call of an intoxicated driver on Dillon Drive.

Sylvia Friday, 33, Lander, Probation Violation.


At 9:56 a.m. on Friday, police were called to the public statue on Macfarlane Drive for a report of a suspicious male subject with a gun and wearing all black. Police made contact with the subject who was carrying a plastic BB gun.

At 1:02 p.m., a caller on Washakie Street complained about a motorcycle being revved in the area since 8 that morning.

At 2:54 p.m., police were called to South Ninth Street for a report of someone in the area wearing a gas mask and throwing something in the caller’s yard. Police contacted the man who denied throwing anything into the yard, and police found nothing in the yard out of the ordinary. There was no mention in the police report of the gas mask.

At 9:03 p.m., officers were called to the area of South Second and Custer for a report of a baby in a diaper riding a tricycle in the middle of the street.

Shortly before 11 p.m., police were called to a business on Main Street for a report of loud noises coming from a nearby residence. Someone said it sounded like someone was trying to break down a door.

At about 8:05 a.m., police were called to the area of North First and Main streets for a report of two moose. According to the police report, two moose were grazing along the banks for the Middle Fork of the Popo Agie. Because the animals were not causing problems, the Wyoming Game & Fish Department was not notified. No other reports of the moose were made.

At 12:03 a.m. on Sunday, police were notified of fireworks being shot off in the area of Cliff and McDougall streets.

A bank envelope was reported stolen from a purse at 11:43 a.m. on Shoshone Avenue.


Riverton Police Department


Edward SoundingSides, 30, Arapahoe, Carrying a Concealed Weapon (steak knife) and Resisting; Darilyne Dodge, 29, Shoshoni, Reckless Endangering and No Insurance; Drew Blackburn, 27, Arapahoe, Public Intoxication and Resisting. See separate story by clicking here.

Erika Thayer, 23, Riverton, Possession of a Controlled Substance-marijuana. Police received a report of a fight in a neighbor’s apartment at 10:39 p.m. Friday night because she could feel her apartment walls vibrate from someone hitting the other side. Police responded to the 1000 block of Hillside Avenue and heard signs of wrestling going on inside the suspect unit, but no one would answer. Officers forced the door open, only to have a woman inside slam the door closed. They reopened the door and went to an upstairs bedroom where Thayer attempted to lock herself in a room. The woman, who reportedly was “covered in blood” denied that she had been assaulted and blamed it on her dog’s medical problem. The original reporting party then called back to report that as police were entering the unit, a man slipped out the back and ran away. The victim later acknowledged that she had been assaulted, and that it started at the Friday Night Cruise, but by that time police found a marijuana joint on a living room table and a container with additional marijuana in it. She was arrested for possession.

Christian Murphy, 21, Peyton, Colo., Public Intoxication and Resisting. You should’ve listened to your friend, bro! Police on patrol in the 700 block of Main Street at 12:15 a.m. Saturday noticed a man stumble out of the Boot Bar and walk into traffic, causing motorists to screech to a halt. A friend said he would take Murphy home, but Murphy got into an argument with his friend, and then ran back out into the street and into traffic, according to the police report. His friend, who was not identified, ran after him, grabbed him in a bear hug and brought him back to the sidewalk. At that time the officers stepped in, “assisted him to the ground,” dry stunned the fighting Murphy with a Taser and took him to jail.

Eldred Lee, 33, Riverton, on a Failure to Appear warrant. Lee was found passed out on the sidewalk in the 400 block of North 7th East.

Joel Lewis, 43, Riverton, on a Contempt of Court warrant; Steven King, 30, Riverton, on a Contempt of Court warrant for Resisting and Jeremy Merta, 36, Riverton, on a Contempt of Court warrant. At 12:21 p.m. Sunday an officer was flagged down by a woman on East Madison who complained that she was moving out of her mobile home on Arapahoe Drive because she had sold it, but that her brother and two of his friends were there refusing to leave. She also said she knew that his friends had warrants. Responding officers arrived at the scene and when attempting to talk to King, he fled, was chased about a block by officers before they assisted him to the ground and handcuffed him. Merta was found hiding under a blanket and Lewis, the woman’s brother, did not resist. The sister was correct, all three had warrants.

Ivan Bear, 45, St. Stephens, Public Intoxication and on a Contempt of Court warrant. Bear was arrested after allegedly harassing customers at the Walmart store on Sunday night.


An employee at the Riverton Dairy Queen thought the walk-in freezer was a good place to keep his wallet during work hours, especially since it contained $430 in cash. When he returned after his shift Friday afternoon to fetch the wallet, it was gone. The manager was advised of the theft and police still have the incident under investigation pending interviews with other employees who were working at the time.

Police were advised at 4 p.m. Friday that the former 23-year-old former boyfriend of a 19-year-old Riverton female had used her bank card and emptied it of everything in her account, everything except $1.13.  Missing is $10,105.14. Debits from the account began around May 20th and at the time of the complaint, included 111 different transactions. She said she had allowed the former boyfriend to use her card in the past and had given him her PIN number. Police are looking for the man, whose address was listed as Arapahoe, to interview him.

The father of a 14 year-old girl called police to report that his daughter had had consensual sexual intercourse with an 18-year-old. Such an act with a minor is illegal under Wyoming State Statutes. The incident is under investigation.

An apparently distraught 68-year-old woman from Thermopolis became confused Friday while driving to the grocery store there and ended up at a grocery store in Riverton instead. The woman’s family in Thermopolis was contacted, who came and picked her up.

An ongoing problem that began during the Riverton High School Girl’s Soccer season flared up again on Friday, when a 17-year-old girl from Arapahoe is alleged to have jumped a former teammate from behind and attempted to punch her, but missed. Onlookers separated the two. The victim  is an 18-year-old Riverton teen. A citation for Battery has been issued for the 17-year-old.

A woman in the 3000 block of College Hill Drive called police to report that someone had broken out her apartment’s kitchen window with a rock. Investigating officers found the outer pane of the window was broken, but the inner window was intact. Damage was estimated at $300.

A young boy playing with his grandmother’s telephone called the 911 center at 10:14 p.m. saying his Grandma’s house was on fire. Responding officers discovered the call was unfounded.

A woman called police at 11 p.m. Saturday night using her cell phone to report that someone had stolen the battery out of her cell phone. Officers found the woman to be “highly intoxicated.”

On Saturday night during the big fireworks show on Griffey Hill, a family shooting off fireworks next door inadvertently started a grass fire. Fire Department units on the scene for the fireworks exhibition put out the blaze. On Sunday just before 3 p.m.  the fire rekindled in the hot dry weather and spread to a garage before being extinguished.

Police were unable to locate what was described as a GMC Yukon after a man and a woman darted out of the Safeway Store with about $100 worth of meat that they did not pay for. The vehicle sped away heading south on Federal.