Police Blotter: Arrests; Canoe stolen at lake; Shoplifters forgot their loot; Elder Fraud investigated

(Fremont County, Wyo.) – Here is Friday’s recap of law enforcement activity around the county in the past 24 hours. All persons arrested or cited are presumed innocent until convicted in a court of law.

Fremont County Sheriff’s Office


Valdo Evans, 41, Lame Deer, Mont., Driving Under the Influence (DUI), Driving Under Suspension and Sheridan County Warrant. Gabriel Moss, 42, San Ansidro, Calif., DUI and a Fremont County Warrant. Read the story behind these arrests here.

Sara Iron, 20, Ethete, DUI, Parking Violation and No Valid Driver’s License.


Gas was reported stolen from a company truck at a business on the 600 block of South Federal Boulevard in Riverton. The caller also noted a drop hitch was also taken some time over the weekend.

A car stereo and iPod were reported stolen from a vehicle on the 1500 block of East Monroe Avenue at 10:30 a.m. Another theft from a vehicle was reported in the area at 12:12 p.m.

A third theft from a vehicle was reported on the other side of the county off Sinks Canyon Road after noon.

Littering was reported at Luckey Pond on the outskirts of Lander on Thursday afternoon.

At 5:14 p.m., a man reported that he had left a canoe by Pelham Lake after fishing and when he returned he found someone had taken it.

At 12:45 a.m. on Friday, a caller on Highway 287 near Lander reported there was a woman in dark clothing walking along the highway.

At 3:39 a.m., a woman in Pavillion reported that her 10-year-old son was left alone by his father for several hours with smaller children.

Deputies were called to the Branding Iron Motel in Dubois for a report of a tenant playing a TV loudly and yelling at other customers.


Lander Police Department


Jason Myhre, 31, Riverton, Fremont County Warrant.

Aaron Tindall, 26, Lander, DUI. A 21-year-old Fort Washakie woman cited for Open Container. The pair were contacted on a report of an intoxicated driver in the area of Highway 287 and Tiger Drive shortly before midnight on Thursday.


At 9:35 a.m., a caller at a home on Sweetwater Street called police for assistance in removing some guns. She reported that she was packing to move and found several firearms in a closet that she didn’t want or need.

At 12:59 p.m., a caller on Main Street reported that someone was using a trash container that wasn’t theirs.

Several minor property destruction wrecks were reported across town throughout the day.

Possible fraud was reported at a location on Garfield Street; someone told the reporting party that they’d bring money to them.

At 8:49 p.m., a caller on Highway 789 reported finding a 3-year-old girl riding a trike in the area. At 9:13 p.m., a caller on Buena Vista Drive reported finding another young girl riding a bike in the area saying she was looking for someone. No arrests or citations were made in connection to the two calls.


Riverton Police Department


Cherlynn Tillman, 22, Riverton, Public Intoxication, Disturbing the Peace and Property Destruction. Police were called to the 700 block of Eagle Drive at 5:14 a.m. where Tillman is alleged to have kicked in a television set.

Joseph Twiss, 40, Arapahoe on two (2) Failure to Appear warrants; and Jose Lockwood, 40, Riverton, on a Contempt of Court warrant. The two were in City Park and a complaint was lodged about a group of men there. When officers ran wants and warrants, Twiss and Lockwood’s names came up.

Donald Smith, 51, Riverton, was found passed out in a bush along the 100 block of North 5th East at 9:11 p.m. His BAC level was .28 percent. Smith was asked how much he had had to drink, and he reportedly told officers, “a lot.” It was mouthwash.

David Gutierrez-Martin, 18, Riverton, Domestic Abuse and Minor Under the Influence with a BAC level of .04 percent. Police said Gutierrez-Martin was arrested after allegedly assaulting a 25-year-old man in an apartment in the 700 block of Eagle Drive. Gutierrez-Martin was found to be on parole and prohibited from drinking.

Loretta SunRhodes, 35, Arapahoe, Theft of Service. Police were called to the 1400 block of Wyoma Street for a woman refusing to pay a taxi fare. Police found SunRhodes hiding in a back bedroom. She said she had paid the driver $10, but the fare was $50 because of a number of frequent stops en route to her destination. Her BAC level was .28 percent.

Edward Stevenson, 27, Riverton, Domestic Battery. Police arrived at the 100 block of Apache Drive to find glass shards on the porch and a front door with the windows broken out. Stevenson also had blood on the front of his tee shirt. A woman at the scene was complaining of pain and was bleeding from the mouth. The woman had redness around her throat consisted with being choked. The two apparently got into an argument over money. The two are divorced, but still living together.

Joshua Ballard, 18, Riverton, turned himself in at the RPD on a Failure to Appear warrant.


Suspects have been identified from an in-store video surveillance system on two individuals who tried to take a HP Pavilion computer from Walmart. It was quite an effort on the couple’s part, who entered the store at 1:50 a.m. on July 23rd, went to the electronics department where they took the computer off of the shelf, loaded it into a shopping cart and then exited the store via the garden center. The male half of the couple deactivated a lock on the motion sensor door into the garden center, pushed the cart through, and then with the computer under his arms, used some shelving to scale the chain link fence. The man then placed the computer between two pallets of bricks on the outside and joined the female, who left the store the usual way. The two pulled up to the area in a passenger car where the computer was stashed, but for some reason the man did not retrieve it, possibly forgetting where he put it. They then left the area.  Police will contact the two in a follow-up investigation.

A burglary was reported in the 3000 block of College Hill Drive at 8:13 a.m. The female caller said she had stayed overnight with a friend while another friend was staying in her apartment. When she returned, money was missing. The suspect is slated to come to the PD for an interview sometime today.

No BFF here. A woman called police to report that another woman was harassing her via phone calls and text messages trying to start a relationship with her. The woman said she told the other female she was not interested, but the aggressive caller threatened to get the woman in trouble with her parole officer if they didn’t go out on a date. A police report said the woman denied any harassing behavior when contacted by police, saying that she was just trying to be a friend.

Police were called by a person concerned over the welfare of a dog left in a vehicle along College View Drive. An officer found that the truck had all its windows rolled down, but that it was still hot inside the vehicle. The owner was contacted and advised of the dangers of leaving an animal in a vehicle on a hot day, even with the windows open.

Officials at US Bank in Riverton notified police of an apparent fraud being conducted against an elderly person. The bank reported that family members of the senior citizen were taking large amounts of money from an account. The report is under investigation.

A report came in at 4:42 p.m. of a man chasing his wife in the 1200 block of South 8th East with a knife. Police found a verbal argument had occurred, but there was no knife involved.

Store officials at Walgreens reported possible fraudulent prescription script received at the store. The incident is under investigation.

A man putting away his groceries on the passenger side of his vehicle in the parking lot at Safeway had finished unloading, closed the door and as he walked past a truck parked next to him, a German Shepard mix dog lunged out of an open window at him and bit him on the shoulder, causing a minor skin abrasion. The windows of the truck were left down while the owner was inside the store. The owner said the 7-year-old dog was not usually aggressive. The victim did not wish to pursue any action as the dog’s vaccinations were current.

Police were called to another report of a closed up vehicle with a dog inside parked in the 100 block of South 1st Street. Officers discovered the vehicle was indeed closed up, but the engine was running and the air conditioning was on. There was also food and water inside. The dog was fine.

A resident in the 500 block of Village Drive reported that someone had apparently egged her garage at some time. There was no damage.

A car theft was reported Thursday at 6:06 p.m. from the 500 block of North 6th East. Missing is a Chevrolet Malibu. No other information was available as a report was pending.

Since the City of Riverton changed its Municipal Code to allow chickens in the city limits, albeit a limited number, there have only been two complaints made about the birds. The second came in Thursday evening at 5:08 p.m. from a residence in the 400 block of North 2nd West where a woman reported there was a chicken in her yard. Another neighbor took possession of the chicken, noting that its owners were out of town for a few days. She said she would keep the chicken until they returned.

A woman driving a gold van with California license plates accidentally drove into the Loaf ‘N Jug store at 7:15 p.m. Thursday night. There was one brick on the building with a chip in it, otherwise no damage was reported.  The woman said she thought she had put the vehicle in reverse, but due to the fact that a dog was at her feet, she was distracted and the vehicle went forward instead.  Police suggested it was a good idea not to have a dog underfoot while driving.

At 8:22, police received a call from a frightened woman in the 100 block of East Monroe who said a female wearing a pink shirt was inside of her garage. She ran and locked herself into her house and called 911. A report had not been completed and no other information was available.

A man on Cheyenne Avenue called for assistance after a bloodied man showed up at his front door at 9:47 p.m. saying he was the victim of an assault. Police found the man bleeding from the nose and mouth, his lips were swollen and he had difficulty talking. He said he didn’t know what happened, but thought he was beaten up at his house next door. Police checked the house and found a blood trail throughout the home, including a puddle of coagulated blood on a bed in a back room, and blood spatters on the wall of the bedroom. He was taken to the emergency room for treatment of his wounds. At 2:50 a.m. police returned to the hospital to check on the man, and he was being released. Because he had no money or means to get home, police gave him a courtesy ride. There are no suspects.

Police were called to a mobile home park in the 1500 block of South Federal where a woman reported that all four windows in her 2002 Lincoln had been broken out. A surveillance video showed two male subjects breaking out the windows about 4 a.m., but it was dark and hard to identify the two. Rocks were found in the back seat of the car. Damage was estimated at $800.

Community Entry Services reported that someone had broken a lock off of a file cabinet and had stolen $210 in cash at a home in the 800 block of Liberty Drive. The theft is under investigation.

Police were summoned to the Stock Doc in the 3700 block of Riverview Road where a customer was in a heated argument with staff about medication for his dogs. He left before police arrived, but as police were talking with staff, the 44-year-old man called and apologized for his behavior, saying he was suffering from PTSD.

A 24-year-old woman driving from Worland to her home in Rock Springs Wednesday stopped at the SageWest Health Care-Riverton emergency room suffering from lower abdominal pains. She told police that her mother in Worland had slugged her in the stomach during a visit. She also said she was 14 weeks pregnant. Riverton police compiled a report and forwarded it to the Worland Police Department for follow-up.


Fremont County Coroner

Chief Deputy Coroner Mark Stratmoen reported that a 66-year-old woman had died at her home in Fort Washakie on Thursday. He said the death was ruled as natural and no follow-up was required.