Crazythunder, arrested for his third probation revocation, held on $25k cash bond

(Fort Washakie, Wyo.) – A Fort Washakie man who was on his third round of supervised probation allegedly absconded for nearly 8 months before being caught a little over a week ago.

William Patrick Crazythunder pleaded no contest in 2009 to the involuntary manslaughter of his infant son. He has had his probation revoked twice, and this would be his third. It is alleged that he left the Southwest Counseling program without successfully completing it and never checked in with his probation officer. His attorney, Devon Petersen, said that Crazythunder had been living a life akin to homelessness. A warrant was issued for a probation revocation arrest in January, but he wasn’t found by law enforcement until Aug. 25.

At an initial probation revocation appearance in District Court yesterday, Crazythunder denied the allegations and an evidentiary hearing will be set within the next couple weeks.

His bond has been set at $25,000 cash, with Deputy County Attorney Daniel Stebner arguing that Crazythunder would be a flight risk. He noted that at the setting of his probation, Crazythunder was admonished by the court that he likely wouldn’t get a fourth chance.

If Ninth District Court Judge Norman E. Young does permanently revoke Crazythunder’s probation, he’ll be required to serve the balance of his 5-10-year prison sentence.

Background on the case:

The affidavit, written by Lander Police Det. Fred Cox states the EMS were called to the family’s home at 11:53 a.m. on Nov. 1, 2008, for the infant, who was soon after pronounced dead at Lander Regional Hospital.

“Tyler appeared to have burns on (the) lower half of his body,” states the affidavit. “Tyler’s body temperature was measured at 109.6 degrees.”

The affidavit relates interviews conducted with Crazythunder and the boy’s mother Dawn Headley.

“William Crazythunder stated that on October 31, 2008, he was in jail for a DUI and his Grandmother came and bailed him out around 9:00 p.m.,” states court documents. At the home were Headley, Tyler and another child. Crazythunder’s brother-in-law allegedly came over and the pair drank into the night.

Headley reportedly told police she left Crazythunder and the children at the home the next morning around 8:30 a.m. and said Crazythunder had asked her to buy more whiskey and cigarettes. “She refused and told him to watch the kids,” states the affidavit.

Crazythunder told police he fell asleep after Headley left and when he woke, he couldn’t find the boy. When he found the infant, he was on the floor between the wall and the bed in a bedroom.

“It appeared that Tyler had rolled off the head of the bed and became trapped between the bed and the wall over an electric baseboard heater,” states the affidavit.

The court documents quote forensic pathologist Patrick C. Allen, who performed an autopsy, that the cause of death was hyperthermia-related injuries. “Dr. Allen reported severe and widespread thermal injury with second and third-degree burns.”